2 students taken to hospital after shooting at Heritage High in Newport News, suspect now in custody

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) – Newport News police said two students who were shot dead at Heritage High School on Monday are expected to recover and the suspect is now in custody.

Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew said both victims were 17 years old. A boy was shot in the side of his face and a girl was shot in the lower leg. Drew said the injuries to the two victims were not life threatening.

“The reports I just got from the hospital are that neither [wound] is considered life threatening, and I thank God for that. It’s the most important thing, ”said Drew. He was about to go to the hospital to meet the victims.

Just after 2:40 p.m., Drew said the suspect, a boy, was in custody after help from the community. He could not give details of who exactly he was or where he was arrested, although it was outside the school and a gun was recovered. It is still unclear how the suspect initially brought the weapon into the school.

Drew said earlier that information indicates that the victims and the suspect knew each other and it does not appear that the shooter was looking to shoot others.

The school was evacuated and two other people were shot and wounded.

“We think they knew each other… I don’t think this was an individual looking in the community to hurt the members,” Drew said. He said he couldn’t speculate any more.

Rumors that there were active shooters at other schools were false, police said.

The students were evacuated and sent to the school tennis courts, where parents were able to meet their children. The school also includes pupils from 6th and 7th, after the Huntington Middle School closed.

The nearby Achievable Dream Middle and High School have also been quarantined.

Police first received the call at 11:38 a.m. and there was still a significant police presence in the area on Monday afternoon. The FBI has confirmed it is helping Newport News police and evidence has been gathered inside the school.

Several Virginia lawmakers and others statements shared after the news broke.

Newport News Public Schools canceled after-school activities at all schools in the city for Monday. Black Lives Matter 757 also tweeted he would hold a vigil tonight at 7:57 p.m. at Newport News.

This is breaking news and will be updated. Look for more information to come.

Click here to subscribe to WAVY Breaking News email alerts.


Source link

About Cedric Lloyd

Check Also

Breakdown: MPs say two teens were gunned down at early morning Cherokee County house party – WSB-TV Channel 2

CHEROKEE COUNTY, Georgia – Cherokee County Sheriff’s Deputies are investigating an early Sunday morning shooting …