Depp vs Heard: some of the key points from the start of the trial
If you’ve just touched on the Depp-Heard case, here’s a selection of some of the key points from the start of the trial that will help bring you up to speed:
— Depp said he never hit Heard or any other woman. He said it was her who got violent and ‘bullied’ him with ‘degrading name-calling’. “It felt like pure hate towards me,” Depp said. “If I stayed to argue, eventually, I was sure it would escalate into violence, and often it did.”
– During an argument in Australia in early 2015, Depp said Heard threw a bottle of vodka that cut the top of his right middle finger. The actor said he was in shock and wrote messages to Heard on the wall using blood from his finger. Heard offered a different account, sobbing as she told the jury that Depp had sexually assaulted her that night by inserting a bottle of alcohol into her vagina. “I was scared,” she said. “I had just married her.”
– A few months later, Heard said, Depp broke his nose and tore chunks of his hair out in another violent encounter.
– Lawyers for Heard presented photos they said showed injuries from various arguments, including scars on her arm that were visible as she posed on a red carpet, and redness and swelling around an eye that she said had been hit by a phone thrown by Depp. Depp’s lawyers showed footage of public appearances they said was taken at the time of their fights and appeared to show no injuries.
— Depp testified that feces was found in the couple’s bed in 2016. One of his security guards said Heard told him it was “an awful prank gone wrong.” Heard denied any involvement and suggested one of the couple’s dogs was responsible.
— Heard said Depp first became physically violent when he slapped her after she laughed at a tattoo that read “Wino Forever”. The tattoo previously read “Winona Forever”, referencing Depp’s former girlfriend, Winona Ryder.
– The jurors heard an audio clip of Depp threatening to cut himself with a knife during one of their last in-person meetings. “That’s psychologically, emotionally where I was,” Depp said. “In the end, I was broken…I thought the only answer was here, take my blood, that’s all I have left.”
– Heard’s lawyers introduced text messages in which Depp called Heard a “dirty whore” and said he wanted her dead. Writing to actor Paul Bettany in 2013, Depp said, “Let’s drown her before we burn her” and “I’ll fuck her burnt corpse afterwards to make sure she’s dead.”