BOSTON — An investigation is underway after a teenager was fatally shot Tuesday morning outside a Boston high school, authorities said.
Officers responding to a report of a shooting at Jeremiah E. Burke High School on Washington Street in Dorchester just after 9:30 a.m. found an 18-year-old boy with an apparent gunshot wound, police superintendent says of Boston, Felipe Colon.
The victim, whose name has not been released, was rushed to a local hospital. He is said to be in stable condition.
Police and school administrators placed the building in safe mode immediately after the incident.
A witness told Boston 25 that she heard at least three gunshots followed by screams from students.
A 17-year-old boy matching the description of the shooter was taken into custody shortly after officers arrived at the school. Supt. Colon noted that a gun had been recovered.
According to Boston Public Safety, notifications about the shooting weren’t sent to parents until after school ended for the day.
Boston 25 asked a BPS official what protocol was in place when a shooting occurs near or at a school, but the official said he did not have that information at hand.
Boston police said the 17-year-old will be arraigned in Boston City Court, Juvenile Division, for misdemeanor assault with intent to murder, assault with a dangerous weapon, unlawful possession of a firearm, illegal possession of ammunition, Firearm discharged within 500 feet of a dwelling and illegal possession of a firearm on school property.
Video from the scene showed dozens of detectives and officers scouring the area for evidence. A truck was also seen towing a red sedan away from the crime scene.
The shooting comes just weeks after a student was stabbed inside the school on September 12.
Suffolk District Attorney Kevin Hayden called the situation “tragic,” adding that his office is “collectively concerned” for the Burke High School community.
Local activist Eugene Rivers called the shooting “shameful”, urging local officials to do more to protect students. Boston Mayor Michelle Wu has pledged to do just that.
“What happened today is not acceptable,” Wu told a news conference. “We will do everything we can at Boston Public Schools to support our students.”
The area was cordoned off with yellow tape and motorists were kept away for hours while investigators worked on the scene.
There were no additional details immediately available.
Hayden’s office is assisting Boston police with the investigation.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.
Download the FREE Boston 25 News App for the latest news alerts.
Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW
©2022 Cox Media Group